Sounds lovely huh! Well, that is where Chad and I were last night. All day yesterday I just wasn't feeling right. I was nauseous, and felt like I was having cramps. I knew it wasn't labor. So Chad made sure I got a nap, and I still went out shopping with Claire and felt OK. However when it was time to go to bed everything went downhill. I had a sharp pain in my lower right side, so I finally just got out of bed and decided that I needed to try to sleep on the couch. That didn't work. I was downstairs throwing up, and in so much pain. I finally got Chad up to give me a blessing, and then sent him back to bed. I tried to fall asleep, but I just couldn't. Finally I couldn't handle the pain anymore and around 2:00 I woke him up again. I had him call the midwives for me. She told me that it was probably my gall bladder and there was nothing they could do. She told me to get in a warm bath, and the pain should subside after a few hours. My problem was that it had already been a few hours of serious pain, but I did what she said. When that didn't work to well, I asked Chad to call her to get me some pain medicine. I always thought I was pretty tough. But seriously this pain was way worse than labor! When he went to call her he saw taht she had left a message saying that it could be my appendix and that maybe we should go to the hospital to get it checked out.
Once we got there I was immediately sent to Labor and Delivery (thanks Emma for coming to watch the kids.). They hooked me up to a few monitors, and I kept trying to tell them I knew I wasn't in labor. Then they sent me back down to the ER to get checked. The wonderful nurse gave me some pain killers, and I could finally relax. It was quickly determined that it wasn't a kidney stone, and the blood work didn't show anything out of the ordinary. They did an ultrasound and the baby looks great. All my organs look great, except they couldn't see my appendix. After all of the tests they sent me back up to labor and delivery where they monitored the baby again, and then sent me home. My midwife is pretty sure it's my gall bladder, but it checked out fine. They did send me home with some lovely pain pills, so that is helping. I go back in tomorrow to the doctor, and we will see what they say. I'm hoping everything works out and this baby doesn't have to come early. 3 weeks isn't to early, but I'm not ready at all.
Sunday, May 2, 2010
Our night at the ER
Posted by CA Clayson Fam at 5:52 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
April,
I started reading this and right away I thought of gall bladder as well.
I've had gall bladder trouble with my last two pregnancies (for the last 6-8 weeks) and right now I'm 26 weeks along and it's already started. The only thing that has helped me is to go on a NO fat diet. It still hurts sometimes, but not eating any fat makes the pain tolerable. I pretty much live on rice and vegetables.
I just had an ultrasound on my gall bladder on Friday, and there are no gall stones (same as last time). The ultrasonographer told me that she see's it a lot in pregnant women--even without gall stones. She said something about pregnancy just tends to make gall bladders go haywire.
I have two more weeks that I could have it taken out laporascopically, and after that point, if it gets really bad, I have to suffer through until the baby is far enough along that they can induce him early, and take my gall bladder out...an option I'm not too fond of.
With my second, the pain was so bad that I barely slept for the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy.
The next time, we figured out the no-fat thing and it wasn't as bad.
I'm already tired of my no-fat diet this time, but it's really not too hard to do if you know you're avoiding that pain!
I also had my appendix out when I was 20 weeks pregnant (in 2004). With that one, I felt like I had an hour long contraction, then I threw up and didn't feel any better so I drove myself to the ER while Todd stayed with the kids. They couldn't find anything wrong on ultrasound, but did surgery because they were pretty sure it was my appendix, and sure enough it was. With appendix pain, I lost my appetite for the entire day before the pain started, and then when the dr. pushed on the spot that hurt, there is an "influx" of pain as he let go. That is classic appendix pain.
I hope you can find some relief!
Sorry that last post was so long. If you want to talk more, my e-mail is gravesrus2 at scinernet dot net. My family blog is at gravesfamilymeanderings dot blogspot dot com.
I should've mentioned that they couldn't find my appendix on ultrasound either. Also, that pain was all over my whole belly when it started, and after several hours was more on the right side. My gall bladder pain has always been on my right side under my ribs, and just lately it hurts on my shoulder blade as well.
As if pregnancy isn't painful enough! That totally sucks - I'm glad you got some pain killers & hope that everything works out well. Good luck!
ah april! that is so scary. now that I am back home if you ever need me to watch the kids at 3 am I'm so there. hope you get feeling better, and yay for drugs! :0)
oh that stinks! Hope they can figure out what is wrong today and that you don't have your baby before me!!!! ;) Good luck and you're in our prayers!
You poor girl! I am so sorry you are dealing with this! Let me know if I can help you out with the kids or something!
Post a Comment